In 1983 the technical advisor TONI KAHLBACHER, who is known since the 30's as a pioneer and world record flyer, founded together with DI REINHARD KEIMEL the association "Österreichisches Segelflugmuseum Hundsheim-Spitzerberg" with the ambition to establish an airglider museum there.
The former flight home director/conductor of the flight assosiation Hundsheim-Spitzerberg and coinitiator of the flight museum Aviaticum Toni Kahlbacher, with copilot Tauschegg before its doubleseater - world record 1938. Flight duration 23h and 41 minutes.
1933 On weekends first flight camps were held at Spitzergerg 1936 started the flying school. After WWII the first flight associations started on the area in 1951.
The project to settle the planned museum on the area of the federal sport school "Hundsheim-Spitzerberg" failed however despite pre-working for many years.
In search of a new location the City of Wiener Neustadt in 1993 showed interest in the establishment of a flight museum. According to long efforts and negotiations the project on the airfield east was planned.
In collaboration with the city of Wiener Neustadt, the federal state Lower Austria, with the support of Diamond Aircraft Industries GmbH and the private donation "FLUGMUSEUM AVIATICUM, which was created by the city of Wiener Neustadt and Mr. "technical advice" Kahlbacher, the flight museum was built in 1999, and on June 3rd, 1999, exactly 90 years after the establishment of the first hangars and workshops on the airfield east the museum opened.